Sunday, January 31, 2010

Why not?!

This is my new phrase in my head. I wasn't the greatest carefree parent with Hunter and I am learning now with both kids that being prim and proper might be good for me but not for my kids. They need to learn and explore new things their way and not how I remember it and what they do might not always be wrong. When Hunter asks me if he can do something off the wall like play with Easter eggs in a popcorn bowl at the kitchen table and I had just folded the laundry and he wants to put all the socks in that I haven't matched up yet in with the Easter eggs my first reaction was no, but than I said why not in my head and he had the best 45 minutes doing something he wanted. Did I think it was odd? Yes, but I don't have to deal with matching my socks and finishing the laundry I can let my little dude have fun. Did my laundry get washed and dried on Friday and sat in my laundry baskets until today to get folded? Yep, cause a mom told me that why stress over laundry when you could be spending that time with your kids. So I do the laundry and if it has to sit in baskets behind closed doors, who cares. This mom was right and I got to spend more time with my kids and I didn't stress about finishing the laundry which I always try to finish on the weekends. So before I react I am trying to take a second and ask myself why not and would it really hurt to just let it see what it brings to them instead of knee jerking.

I found a new stress reliever! Hanging out on the porch with the kiddos. Let me tell you watching them play and hang out together is very rewarding. I will always be thankful that Larry and I had two kids because it is fun to see how one year there was one and now there is two and how the learn new things. But I will say I don't remember Hunter being this adventurous so early I think Grace climbs and explores everything because she is trying to keep up with her brother. Also, who would have knew sharing would be such a challenge with kiddos? But we are all learning.

Hunter lets me sing now! This is a total change on his part. In the car he would not let me sing at all. I don't have the best voice but I try. I got a hand me down kids CD and for some reason I think it is because it is a lady singing all the songs in the same tone and she sounds like me that he wants me to sing with her and he sings along too! Way to cute! He started this last week and I meant to blog about it.

One last thing. Alot is going on but I have been told to just breathe the air around me and notice things about it and to feel things around me and touch things around me. I didn't to this much before gotta be honest I was a hermit crab in a shell but I am learning and getting it. So for the month of February one more goal on top of the other ones is to just breathe.

No comments: