Thursday, March 3, 2011

another debt paid!

I can't believe I did it! I paid off my Discover credit card! This was I believe my first credit card ever I had it before I met Larry and I spent alot of it on our wedding too. I finally paid off my part of our wedding and only 8.5 years later! That is pretty sad. So this is how I did it. I paid off my car last year and I started another loan at Onpoint and transferred my Discover card to Onpoint since my finance charge was 25%, with Discover card yep it was I don't even remember when it got that bad but it was. When I transferred it to Onpoint it was 7.9%! Major difference! I wrote in my debt notebook how much I would pay off each month and the only month I wasn't able to was Christmas cause I bought some presents. But the rest of the months I was able to keep my goal because I didn't buy my kids very many toys and I had friends handing me down clothes for the kids which helped a ton and I had friends hand me down clothes and shoes and family was helping with buying toys and clothes for the kids that I needed instead of me. I didn't buy much for me and I slowly budgeted for things around the house to make it look better and only bought coffee once during the week and sometimes on the weekend and made sure I always had my set amount of money left over at the end of the month to make a payment towards my credit card and it worked! I also carried cash. I never carried cash in the past but I would take out $50 every two weeks and use it on coffee, lunches, or things I wanted to buy. But it also helped big time that Larry worked in Canada throughout this time I am not going to lie. And that was my only saving grace for getting through the last year of having him leave each time knowing that him working the hours and being away I was working on our debt and the debt I had because he was gone. So there you have it how I did it. Hard work, budgeting, coupons, sacrificing not getting what I wanted and using my resources around me to help cloth me and my kids can really help out alot. And to except help and show people that you are seriously trying to make a difference in spending money because in the end there is a goal....paying off a debt that should have been paid off along time ago. So as of today... I have paid off over $15,000 of debt since 12/09! And I have less than that to go on my last debt. I am on the home stretch and it feels really, really good!

1 comment:

Mom said...

WE ARE SOOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU...!!!! You are awesome!! You tackled a big monster and now it is going away!! Sweet! Love you, Mom and Wayne!