Sunday, July 1, 2012

:: fireworks and dogs ::

In my house 4th of July has started. Not only do we eat red,white, and blue popsicles, and have flag colors all over but Misha is already hating 4th of July.  Started last night after 10pm.  I wasn't ready for it and once she is scared from the fireworks she is done and takes her hours to get better.  I didn't get to sleep until after midnight.  Some dogs hate fireworks and Misha is one of them.  It is like watching a person who has come back from war and the sound of the fireworks sets them off and they go ballastic same for some dogs.  Misha shivers, pants, walks around all over the house trying to find a safe place.  To her it usually is under Grace's bed.  It is horrible and lasts forever.  I wish I could tell people please don't do your fireworks until the 4th for people who have pets that are like Misha.  The 4th of July is hell for her and I feel so bad and that is one reason I don't take my kids to big firework displays like Canby or Portland cause my poor dog would be all by herself going through all I mentioned above.  Before we had Hunter we left her at home and I feel horrible knowing what she was going through and we didn't even know it.  This year if Larry takes the whomps to Canby I am going to stay with Misha cause she is my baby too and I feel so bad for her.  So tonight at 7:30pm more fireworks started and she started pacing and I gave her half a Benadryl and I hope that helps her tonight.  Every year I have to Benadryl her and I feel so bad but if it helps her I will do it.  The thing is when you have dogs that are scared at this time of the year you have to give them Benadryl before, during, and after.  So not cool but it is so hard on them when they are so scared of hearing the fireworks.  I hope my Mish sleeps good tonight I got to go to work tomorrow but if not I am up for round 2 of 4th of July week I love my girl too much to watch her suffer. 

So when you see those billboards about fireworks and dogs don't mix just read them and realize that what they say is true.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Poor Misha! You are so wonderful to stay home and comfort her. I almost wish it was raining so that people wouldn't bother with fireworks.

Mom said...

Poor grand puppy, I feel bad for her, you are a good mom to stay with her through all this.