Thursday, December 20, 2012

:: cancer bites ::

I deal with cancer ever day at work.  We check for it, look for it, diagnosis it, see patients with it, and watch patients die with it.  Usually I am ok with it but if it is a child or someone I know I get twittered about it.  My side of the family has been blessed without getting it, but my Grandma Betty on my dad's side died of a brain tumor a year or so ago.  My father-in-law has cancer and he is doing awesome. My past co-worker who got ovarian cancer 7 years ago is not doing well and now she has 6 months or less to live and is in the hospital and might not get out and if she does she will be on hospice and it just bums me out and makes me mad.  I am not a fan of cancer but when it hits home likes this makes me wish a cure could come soon!  The bummer part for my friend is she has tried so many different types of chemo treatments in the past that were new and experimental and wasn't sure the outcome but the way I see it is she made the decision for her life to prolong it to see if she could live and see if they did work that she has expanded so many other peoples lives that haven't even been diagnosed with cancer just cause of her trying.  Do I make sense?  She paved the way for her kids future if heaven forbid her kids get her type of cancer or I get it in my future or any of my family and friends because she tried fight her cancer with all these crappy new chemo's that will maybe one day cure cancer.  I wish that we could find a cure cause cancer bites and my heart goes out to this family.  The kids already lost their dad to cancer and now their mom is dying.  Sucks.

2 comments:

Mom said...

It does suck. Sorry about your friend, my prayers go to her and her family during this time. She was courageous to go through all the treatments. She has left a mark in others futures and her family was blessed by the additional time with her.

Lori said...

You completely make sense. My mother went the same route and I was so grateful for every moment of her remission. Your friend is brave and I thank her for her commitment to pave the road for the rest of us. If nobody has mentioned it lately, you should be proud of yourself too. You are compassionate, caring and aware of the things that matter most in a world that is often moving too fast to notice. In short, kudos to you for being beautiful, brave and comfortable enough to share.