Saturday, January 5, 2013

:: crunch time ::

Crunch time is a time that I call when I need to just stop and slow down on spending money and use what I have/got.  So I am in a crunch time right now.  This happens now that I am more self aware of our money and how we spend and how to keep us from over spending.  Christmas is past and Grace's birthday party is past (even thought her birthday is Tuesday).  2 big fun times in our life that we spend money on so now back to reality and realizing that I gotta cut back and not spend money.  So, I have only one credit card debt left!  It was my KIA car loan that I paid off and had my title of my car for a few months and Larry and I worked out our drama and I helped him with his credit card debt and since I had better credit I took 2 of his debts and gave the title back to the bank and put Larry's debt on it.  Larry last month paid off the other debt I had of his.  Whoo Hoo!  So now I am down to one!  And I am on the goal of getting it paid of in 6 months or less.  Yes, we did buy the van and it is under Larry and I know that is a debt but I am still working on credit card debt first and let me tell you we have paid off a ton when I am done with this last credit card debt I will share how much give or take we paid off.  It is amazing and embarrassing at the same time but in the end it will have taken us 3+ years to pay it off if the next 6 months go OK financially for us. :)

Back to crunch time what this means is (and I wrote myself a note on my fridge to remind me) is this week and for one week (and maybe longer if all goes well).

*** I cannot spend any money other then for essentials for the kids like milk and stuff they are used to eating and drinking.  All else I have to try to use what is in my fridge, pantry, and cupboards.

***No shopping for stuff for me or the kids.  We have enough.  No Internet shopping for me and saying no to the kids when they see something at the store.

***Make lunches for me no going out to lunch.  I didn't even give myself my usual $20 allowance a week.  What I have in my wallet is what I have to spend this week.

***Try not to drive everywhere and just stay home and do fun things around the house and play with all our new stuff.

There you have it.  Pretty basic but really hard to do sometimes.  But I started this on Thursday and we have done really well.  The kids and I vegged all day today in the house.  We didn't even go outside.  We should have to get some fresh air and run around but they played with Lego's for 3 hours together and apart that I didn't want to bug them.  We didn't go anywhere in the van.  :)  By doing this crunch time I save almost $100 a week it is crazy!  It is sad to say but I can do this better when Larry isn't home cause I am in charge and in better control of what we do but knowing he is saving money on his end being in the middle of nowhere makes me feel like we can do it here too.  So hello to crunch time!

No comments: